Alice May (1927), Coal & Candle Creek

Alice May (1927)

ALICE MAY (1927), on Coal and Candle Creek, Ku-ring-gai National Park, N.S.W., by Victoria Kitanov ©2017

ALICE MAY is a timber motor launch designed & built in 1927 by Sidney Wilson of the well known Wilson Brothers family of boat builders from Port Cygnet, Tasmania. Wilson, a ship’s carpenter, built the 7.7 metre launch in his backyard.

Named after Miss Alice May Marsh a friend of Sidney’s wife, Frances, ALICE MAY was used for weekend recreation and was referred to as a ‘Sunday boat’.

ALICE MAY is built from a variety of Tasmanian timbers, planked and framed in Huon Pine with Blue Gum stringers & Celery Top Pine floors. The deck combines Huon & Baltic Pines, the cabin sides are Huon & King Billy Pines. The Kauri Pine ship’s wheel was made by Viv Innes from the Tasmanian trading ketch, HUON CHIEF which was burnt at Constitution Dock, Hobart in 1938.

[Source: Australian Register of Historic Vessels / Developed by the Australian National Maritime Museum in association with the Sydney Heritage Fleet].

The original artwork (Watercolour, 91.44 cm. x 76.2 cm.) by Australian artist Victoria Kitanov, was commissioned by Mr Kerry Trollope, owner of ALICE MAY, and is available as a Limited Edition print.

Comments are closed.